April 20, 2017
Go Paperless, the Tenant-Friendly Way
The digital era has arrived. Everywhere you look, businesses are turning to electronic processes and services that help them streamline operations and improve their bottom lines, all while keep customers smiling.
For property management firms, going digital presents an abundance of opportunities. From online rent applications, bill payments and maintenance request forms, to social media advertising and email notifications, there’s very little that property managers can’t do with digital.
If your property management firm still hasn’t made the move, consider this:
- Printer ink costs more, per ounce, than a bottle of Chanel No. 5.
- Filing costs approximately $20 per document, on average.
- Every 12 filing cabinets require an additional employee to maintain them.
- Every misfiled document costs firms $125 in lost productivity.
And that’s not even getting into the high cost of off-site storage—most of which is rarely retrieved. Paper-based processes gobble up much more time and money than electronic methods. They’re wasteful and inefficient.
Digital, on the other hand, offers many benefits, including:
- Lower costs due to reduced paper consumption and storage space, onsite and off.
- Improved efficiency, resulting from automated processes that reduce human error and minimize repetitive tasks.
- Easier access to files, which are accessible from anywhere, anytime.
- Better communication with tenants, who can reach out to you 24/7 from their preferred device.
By embracing technology and trading in hard copies for soft copies, you’ll save time and money—not to mention lower your environmental footprint. As an added plus, you’ll free up staff to focus on bigger-picture issues and be more responsive to resident queries or complaints.
What’s the Hold-Up? Overcoming Resident Resistance
It seems like a no-brainer for property management firms to go digital. But some hold back, and for good reason: They’re concerned about renter buy-in.
The question is, why would tenants avoid a service that’s faster, more convenient and more accessible? Why aren’t tenants going digital?
- User-unfriendliness. Many property management firms make the mistake of launching online services before working out the kinks. If the product you choose isn’t user-friendly, low adoption rates shouldn’t be surprising—they should be expected.
- Password burnout. Tenants, like everyone else, are getting tired of creating yet another password for online registrations. It has to be easy for residents to register as well as change and retrieve their password as required.
- Missed payment fears. One of the factors contributing to lower self-service adoption rates is the fear of accidentally missing a payment. Opt for a system that also has automatic reminders.
- Security insecurity. Some renters worry about non-secure transactions, particularly when submitting banking information or other personal details.
The Paperless, Worry-Free Solution
Property Vista has an easy solution that will overcome tenant doubts and ensure that you benefit from everything digital has to offer.
Our online tenant portal is intuitive to use and provides handy rental reminders by email or text. Payments are completely secure. And your rental agents can quickly set tenants up when they sign their lease, so you won’t have to chase down residents after they’ve moved in.
To learn more about how you can offer a user-friendly digital experience while improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness, sign up for your free account today or give us a call.